Friday 27 February 2009

Shooting People

Quick post before I jump in the shower and go to work (don't worry, I am clothed)

I'm getting lots of nice comments about the Screenwriters' Diary. Thank you very much. I've been thinking of ways of spreading the word and obtaining more information for it and I'm considering returning to the Shooting People fold. 

So, a question. What's it like? I used to be a member and it was really useful. I made some contacts through it, got some stuff optioned. Then, a few years ago, it seemed to descend into nothing but people having arguments on it and, well, it stopped being useful. 

How do you find it? Has it improved at all? In these "harsh economic times" and being a SITCOM family (Single Income Two Children Oppressive Mortgage) I'm loathe to throw thirty of my hard earned quid away. 

5 comments:

  1. I seem to have ended up back on it and recently got into a "lively debate" (*cough*) about actors being exploited by filmmakers. I could have sworn it was exactly the same argument as the last time I subbed which was a couple of years ago.

    I'd say it all depends on what you want to get out of it. If you've got lots on your plate for now and are happy with the networking opportunities provided by blogging, Twitter, facebook or whatever, perhaps there's no need. If you think you're going to need some collaboration in the near future or just want to keep an eye on what's going on then perhaps it's worth subscribing.

    Which probably isn't very helpful after all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and SITCOM family. I like that a lot. Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shooting people sits somewhere between interesting and 'meh' for me these days. I'm not sure I'll renew my subscription when it's time. Some of the bulletins are really useful, and there are contracts etc on the site which are good, but there are still arguments via the bulletin often enough. I've never even posted anything to it.

    I can't say I've found out about many competitions through it, so I wouldn't join if that's your main reason. Also, someone else could always post a link to your email, if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i'd get someone to email you the daily bulletins, and to share their password with you. not sure i'll resubscribe again either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for you opinions. Which appear to all draw the same conclusion of "Nah, wouldn't bother". So the thirty pounds can go towards my roof repair!

    ReplyDelete