Wednesday 18 February 2009

Notes From The Prod Co.

It seems, currently, that there's a lot of writing activity going on in the Blogosphere. Novels or screenplays, laptops or crayons, people look like they're getting their heads down and scribbling. More power to your elbows, kids.

For my part, I got the notes on "Stuck Between Stations" from the prod co. I met on Monday. My limited experience of these things seem to go "I love the script. It's perfect. Now, here's everything that's wrong with it."

And you know what? They're completely right. I went through the list and agreed with everything they said. You learn early on in this game that you're not going to make the best script you can on your own. You need that outside input. You're making this for other people to watch, so you need to know what other people are thinking.

I've sketched out a rough treatment for the new draft. I'm sad that some of my favourite jokes are going to have to fall by the wayside, but you've got to be ruthless, no matter how good that Scooby Doo joke is. Luckily, most of it is going to just be moving furniture around to help the pace and set up future episode plotlines. I'm chomping at the bit to get started and really excited. I'm actually writing something I'm really proud of and, for once, don't think I'll be wincing when I read it back in a few years time.

I couldn't do anything last night because the printer died, but that's okay. I've made a pledge not to write on Tuesdays because that's Battlestar Galactica night and I just feel really bad comparing my writing to that show.

I don't know for sure, but this might be the meaningful thing that I've been trying to write. And I've managed to retain some knob gags.

Let's all keep it up!

2 comments: