Thursday 5 March 2009

Sit-Com. A Different Way of Writing - Part 2

I'm on the 11th draft of "Stuck Between Stations". It's getting harder as each draft goes on.

The problem is, you write the first draft and it's packed with quality jokes. You know they're funny and insightful. As you re-draft, you're writing the same jokes over and over again and the repetition means they stop being funny to you. But, it's ok because you remember that they were funny once.

Now, 11 drafts in, I can't remember the original amusement I had writing them. It's lost in a fog of notes and re-writes. Lovingly crafted gags have fallen by the wayside in the name of pace and plot. That's no bad thing, by the way.

I tend to lose all objectivity at about this point and feel that I have no idea if what I'm changing is an improvement or just something different. I'm not doing anything wrong, just something different that's not right.

Still, hopefully I'll get to the end of this draft within the next few days, read it and realise that I was worrying about nothing. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment