Sunday 15 March 2009

My Great Big Internet Experiment


Here's Kid B throwing anything she can find into the river near our house. Mostly leaves. And twigs. And - given half a chance - my Blackberry. Bless her and her destructive tendencies. 

I've been thinking that I should take more photos. The Better Half bought a camera for my birthday a few years ago and it only comes out on special occasions. 

With Kid C on the way, I thought it might be good to do, maybe, one photo a day for the first year of his life. And, hell, it might make this blog look a bit prettier. 

I was tweeting while I was taking the above photo and thinking about Flickr and social networking and things. I can multi-task with the best of them. I was thinking that this whole social networking thing has made me less misanthropic. I'm actually interested in other human beings that I don't have a romantic or biological connection to. I want to know more. But not in a scary stalker way. 

How about this for an idea? Once a month, we get as many people as possible around the world to take a photograph at the same time, write a caption no longer than the now traditional 140 characters and then post it somewhere. Webcam, camera phone, Huge SLR job, anything that records an image. We'll either upload to a Flickr album or I'll set up a blog.

We'll alter the times to get a cross-section of life. So, first photograph on 1st April at mid-day GMT, second photo 1st May at one o'clock, third photo on 1st June at 2 o'clock. It could be a year in the world's life. 

It's all just a rough idea at the moment, but I think it could be really interesting. What do you think? Let me know. We've only got a couple of weeks before 1st April to mobilise the troops!!!

And thank you for letting me use the word "misanthropic". Always wanted to. Never had the chance until now.

Oh, Screenwriters Diary Newsletter out tomorrow. Sign up! I steal a joke from "Peep Show" this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment