Thursday 22 January 2009

Bueller...? Bueller...?

Some top level procrastination today. Have the day off work and it started off well. Got the Screenwriters' Diary finished and answered a few emails. I just need to think of a good way to publicise it. Any ideas gratefully received!

Then I remembered that I need to get an outfit for a fancy dress party next week. The brief is anything from the last 40 years, so punk it is!!! So the rest of the day has been spent trawling the charity and DIY shops (the padlocks, safety pins and chains don't grow on trees, you know!)

Anyway, I got to thinking about my teenage years, locked in my bedroom listening to the Clash (Is "(White Man) In the Hammersmith Palais?" the greatest song ever?) and the Sex Pistols. What's the best teen movie ever?

Personally, it's a Mexican standoff between "Quadrophenia", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Say Anything". Why? "Quadrophenia" captures perfectly the awkwardness, energy and the disillusionment that comes with youth. Though set in the 60's, it was made in '79 and fizzes with a speed-freak punk energy. Not even Sting can ruin it. Did the director Franc Roddam really go on and create "Masterchef"?

"Ferris Bueller..." is the ultimate teenage wish fulfillment. Hell, I'm 32 and I still want to sing "Twist and Shout" at the front of a carnival parade.  

And "Say Anything"? Three words. John Fuckin' Cusack. He is extremely cool. Wearing sandals in "Con Air'? Genius! 

I think it's safe to assume that I have a man crush on him. 

So, what's your favourite? And, while you're there, can you explain the attraction of "The Breakfast Club"? 

...Bueller...?

No comments:

Post a Comment