Sunday 17 May 2009

Bloody Hell! An Actual Post About Writing!!!

I'm thinking about trying to write a novel. 

As you may know, I've concentrated on screenwriting but writing this blog has caused me to fall in love with prose all over again. I think I could write something quite funny. I have a few ideas that could be developed. 

Are there any websites that you could recommend? I've got a couple of 'How To Write A Novel' books but I don't think they even tell me the very basic-y basics like how many words you need to write to call it a bloody novel.

Any help will be gratefully received!

6 comments:

  1. Try this:

    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count

    Though 50,000 is a pretty slim novel in my book (geddit). 80K-90K is a decent number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for that! Hmmm... Thats a lot of words...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a wannabe writer and professional procrastinator I have to say that you just need to write. Stuff what others say.

    Or you could be like me and just have loads of ideas but never finish them. At last count I had 35 novels on the go and 27 screenplays. If I ever finish any of them it will be a sad day... that's my excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. www.writersdock.org. There's a novel writing thread on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, you want tips for thinking about trying to write a novel? My top tip would be to post a blog entry about it and ask for tips.

    Otherwise, as the great grapefruit-headed genius Gerry Robinson said, 99% of the time, the answer is to get on with it.

    So get on with it.

    ReplyDelete